Bridge closure 'postponed' until New Year
- Credit: Highways England
A series of overnight repair works on a busy bridge will now be carried out in the New Year.
Highways England was due to carry out repair works to the A47 Bascule Bridge in Lowestoft over 12 nights this week.
But these scheduled "essential maintenance works" have now been delayed until 2021.
A Highways England spokesman said: "This work has now been delayed, and is due to take place starting Monday, January 4.
"We believed that, coming out of lockdown, this series of road closures would be detrimental to the local economy, and it therefore prudent to postpone the work until the New Year."
You may also want to watch:
The works had been scheduled to take place from 8pm to 6am between November 30 and December 12.
It now means that in the New Year, the bridge will be temporarily closed overnight from January 4 with drivers likely to face delays as a diversion route is in operation.
- 1 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 2 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
- 3 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 4 Driver's lucky escape as lorry ends up in ditch
- 5 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 6 Chef Galton Blackiston closes fish and chip shop during week
- 7 'It's opened my eyes' - What is it really like having coronavirus?
- 8 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 9 Brothers take wedding bookings for 2022 after finishing barn project
- 10 Town left at standstill after level crossing failure