Barclays Bank to cut opening hours of Great Yarmouth branch
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2014
A town centre bank is cutting its opening hours.
Barclays Bank in the Market Place will close half an hour earlier on weekdays at 4.30pm and three hours earlier on Saturdays at 1pm, starting tomorrow.
The branch has cited a fall in footfall as the reason, along with customers moving to banking online.
The bank opened in November 2014 after relocating from its premises at Hall Quay and Trafalgar Road.
Deputy community banking director for Norfolk and Suffolk Chris Channell said: 'The way customers choose to bank is changing as people are increasingly moving away from traditional branches and using online, telephone and mobile devices for everyday transactions. While branches are still an important part of our business they must reflect how and when our customers are choosing to visit us.
You may also want to watch:
'At Great Yarmouth branch, we have experienced a decline in customer usage in the week and on a Saturday and we have therefore made the decision to change our opening hours. Our colleagues have been informed about the changes.'
He added that the number of customers using the branch at the beginning and end of the day had also fallen.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 4 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 5 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 6 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 7 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 8 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 9 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 10 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
The nearest branches that are open 9am until 5 pm are Lowestoft and Norwich St Stephens, which also remain open until 4pm on a Saturday.
To compensate for the reduced hours, staffing at the Yarmouth branch will increase from October 24.
To support customers with digital options the bank will be running a monthly 'Tea and Teach' event on every second Wednesday of the month, with the next on October 12.