Aylsham Town Council take emergency action after pensioner is hurt in collision

The new East Anglian Air Ambulance helicopter. Picture: ANTONY KELLY

The new East Anglian Air Ambulance helicopter. Picture: ANTONY KELLY - Credit: Archant

Town councillors have vowed to take action after a pensioner was left lying on the ground in the pouring rain waiting for emergency services after being involved in a collision with a car in Aylsham.

The woman in her 80s suffered back, leg and hip injuries during the drama which unfolded on Market day last week - Monday, April 4.

It is suspected that the accident happened after a safety barrier, which prevented vehicles accessing the town's historic Market Place, was moved.

Now, with 450 people already confirming their attendance at a street party to celebrate the Queen's 90th birthday on June 12, councillors are warning motorists to ensure the barriers stay closed in future. They have also agreed to buy some emergency blankets in case of a repeat.

Speaking at Thursday night's meeting of Aylsham Town Council, clerk Sue Lake said: 'This poor lady was coming out of the Co-op when she was knocked down by the car.

You may also want to watch:

'She had to lay on the ground for an hour until the ambulance came and it was pouring with rain so she must have got cold.

'We would ask if people do come into the Market Place and move the barriers that they put them back again, although we don't know if that is what happened.'

Most Read

But the East Anglian Air Ambulance (EAAA) said it was on scene within 19 minutes of receiving the 999 call.

It pointed out the call came in at 11.35am and the air ambulance landed at 11.54am, with a road ambulance following five minutes later.

A spokesperson for the East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust said: 'We received a call on April 4 to reports of a road traffic collision involving a pedestrian in Market Place, Aylsham. We dispatched the East Anglian Air Ambulance, an ambulance crew and an ambulance officer. At the scene, a woman believed to be in her 80s was treated before being conveyed via land to NNUH. She was conscious and breathing.

'From the point at which the call was received at 11.35am, our first resource was on scene, which was the EAAA at 11.54am, meaning the response time was around 18 minutes. Following that our ambulance crew was on scene at 11.59am then the officer at 12.06pm. Our reports state that the ambulance crew left the scene at 1.08pm with the patient for the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.'

Nevertheless, they added: 'We would like to apologise for the wait the patient faced at the time and any distress this may have caused. An earlier ambulance was dispatched but was diverted to a life-threatening incident.'

Meanwhile, the town council is to buy a second new bus shelter for the 'sunniest' spot of the Market Place, despite concerns it could get too hot and clutter the area.

Councillors agreed to pay £919 towards the £3677 cost of the project, after it was awarded a grant from the Parish Partnership for the balance.

However, the northbound shelter is to be smaller than the shelter at the southbound stop because, the meeting was told, less passengers travel north and to make room for the fruit and vegetable and fish stalls.

During his report, Aylsham Town Council chairman Mathew Martin announced his intention to resign due to work commitments. He will step down following the annual public meeting in the town hall on April 27 at 7pm.

Mr Martin said: 'The last two years have been a challenge but it has been a privilege to represent the people of Aylsham.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter