Attleborough man killed in A11 crash was not wearing a seatbelt, inquest told


- Credit: ©Archant Photographic 2010

A young father killed in an A11 car crash may have survived if he was wearing a seatbelt, an inquest heard.

Ali Ucar, of London Road, Attleborough, was driving a Volkswagen Golf that left the dual carriageway near Larling, rolled down the embankment and crashed into trees.

The 34-year-old died of multiple injuries after the collision on February 10 this year.

Delivery driver Daniel Kennett was on his final job of the night when he spotted lights coming from down an embankment.

In a statement read out at the hearing, he said he was puzzled by what he saw and after he made a delivery in East Harling at 10pm he returned to try to get a better view.

You may also want to watch:

On closer inspection he noticed the lights were headlights, and he called 999 at around 10.15pm on the day of the crash.

PC Jamie Hutchin, who investigated the collision, said Mr Ucar had been driving on the Thetford-bound carriageway and there was surface water on the road after heavy rain.

Most Read

He said there were tyre marks, and the car's registration plate was found in a tree before the car - which was found after a 'long line' of flattened trees.

Officers found no faults with the vehicle, no drugs or alcohol in Mr Ucar's system and that his mobile phone had not been in use around the time of the crash.

But PC Hutchin said Mr Ucar had not been using his seatbelt.

'Had he been, it's likely he would have been restrained in his vehicle and his injuries would have been less severe,' he told today's inquest.

He added it was 'unclear' why the car had left the road, but evidence he was late to meet people in King's Lynn 'suggested he was in a rush'.

Mr Ucar, who was born in Turkey, had driven to see family in London on the day of the crash.

He had travelled with his friend Ulus Arslan, and the pair had arrived back at Attleborough at around 9.30pm with Mr Ucar's daughter.

Mr Arslan told the inquest that Mr Ucar had not seemed tired, and had planned to meet people for an evening out in King's Lynn at 9pm but was running late.

Mr Ucar set out on the journey alone after Mr Arslan warned him to drive carefully due to the wet roads.

No evidence was heard about how fast Mr Ucar was driving, and no witnesses to the crash have been traced.

Norfolk coroner Jacqueline Lake concluded that Mr Ucar's death was an accident.

She extended her sympathies to the family of Mr Ucar, including his two brothers who attended the hearing.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus