Arts North Norfolk invites you to sum up Shakespeare in 400 - and win prizes
- Credit: Archant
Strip your favourite Shakespeare play back to 400 characters and you could win a prize.
Arts North Norfolk is marking the 400th anniversary of the Bard's death on April 23, which was also his birthday, with a special competition.
Director Joseph Ballard wants anyone and everyone to sum up a Shakespeare play in just 400 characters - and the count must include letters and punctuation.
'This is our way of being part of the international festivities that are celebrating Shakespeare's work this year,' said Mr Ballard, who has directed, acted in and also adapted Shakespeare plays.
'Our competition is open to all ages from primary school to adults – I think it's really important to involve young people in this project. I wanted to encourage people to sum up a play which in turn strips the plays back to the story.
You may also want to watch:
'Theatre is about telling a story and Shakespeare did not write his plays just to be read in a classroom.'
Prizes include tickets to theatre shows and films at the Atrium Theatre in North Walsham for the rest of the year, tickets to see the Royal Shakespeare Company's A Midsummer Nights Dream when it visits Norwich, and a theme-night meal for two at the Cockerel Restaurant in North Walsham.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 3 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 4 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 5 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 6 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
- 7 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital
- 8 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 9 What does the ice-cream man do during winter?
- 10 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
? Entries for Shakespeare in 400 can be submitted online at www.artsnorthnorfolk.org or via Arts North Norfolk's box office at No 1 Market Place, North Walsham NR28 9BP.
The deadline is April 27, entry is free, and participants can submit as many attempts as they wish.