Artist’s online gallery showcases decades of painting the Norfolk Broads
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2014
Artist David Dane has spent decades being enchanted by the Norfolk Broads and using his paintbrush to capture the mystery and beauty of the ever-changing watery landscapes.
From a winter afternoon at Hickling to dawn on Ranworth Broad, Mr Dane has explored in oil paints countless scenes on our county's great wetland, documenting the Broads throughout the seasons and from dawn until dusk.
Prints of his work have sold around the world, and his originals have fetched between about £2,000 and £7,000, and Mr Dane said that he likes to think that his paintings have played a part in promoting the Broads and encouraging people to visit.
Now Mr Dane, who first started painting while working with the famous Hunter Fleet at Ludham, has created an online gallery for people to enjoy many of the atmospheric and ethereal landscapes he has depicted over the past 30 years.
When asked what it is that has especially inspired him about the Broads over all this time, he said: 'The Broads to me has always been a place of great mystery... It's a very ethereal place to be. You can moor up somewhere, and when you wake up in the morning it is like being on another planet with all the mist.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Dane, who lives on the edge of Sutton Fen, said he loved the timelessness of the Broads, and the peace and tranquillity.
He added: 'I am overwhelmed with images. There are so many different types of images and they are always changing at different times of year. There's a never-ending source of imagery for me.'
- 1 Man in 20s drowned in Bawsey Country Park lake
- 2 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 3 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 4 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 5 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 6 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 7 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 8 See inside the 'tiny mobile homes' built from scratch for £95,000
- 9 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 10 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
On his new website Mr Dane, 70, has categorised his paintings by broad, by river, and by season, so people can search for their favourite spots and time of year and see them through his artist's eyes.
'If you have been on holiday on the Broads and there's a particular part of the Broads you fall in love with, you can go on to the website and look up the area,' he said.
When asked if he has any personal favourites among his paintings, Mr Dane said: 'It's always the one I am working on – until I do the next one and then that becomes my favourite.'
• To see Mr Dane's online gallery of work and find out more about prints of his work visit www.norfolkprints.co.uk Mr Dane also has an exhibition of work – called Magic Moments – at Fairhaven Woodland and Water Garden at South Walsham from November 22, until November 30.
• Do you have an arts story? Email arts correspondent Emma Knights at email@example.com
• See inside today for a 24-page supplement on our beautiful Broads.