Armed raiders target village post office
A gang of armed robbers threatened post office staff with a shotgun and axe in the latest in a spate of East Anglian village shop raids.Norfolk Police launched a fresh investigation at the weekend after the store and post office at Bressingham, near Diss, was targeted by three balaclava clad men.
A gang of armed robbers threatened post office staff with a shotgun and axe in the latest in a spate of East Anglian village shop raids.
Norfolk Police launched a fresh investigation at the weekend after the store and post office at Bressingham, near Diss, was targeted by three balaclava clad men.
The offenders entered the village shop, in High Road, at about 4.20pm on Friday and threatened workers with the weapons before making off with an undisclosed quantity of cash.
A police spokesperson said the two shop staff were left shaken, but uninjured, however, in the process of the raid, a shop customer received a slight injury to his arm.
The three men made their get away in what is believed to be a green Volvo 440 saloon car.
Officers believe the vehicle, which has since been found abandoned in the Bressingham area, was stolen from the Tesco supermarket car park, off Norwich Road, Thetford, the night before the armed robbery.
- 1 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 2 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 3 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 4 Classic vehicle day coming to stunning gardens this weekend
- 5 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 6 'Beheading' comment sees councillor reported to police
- 7 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 8 7 pubs up for sale or rent in Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk glamping site with natural pool named among UK's best newcomers
- 10 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
Police are appealing for information into the latest incident, which follows a spate of similar robberies in the region in recent months.
On Friday November 10 at 5pm, three balaclava wearing men with pick axe handles and an axe smashed their way through reinforced glass at Harleston Post Office and stole a quantity of cash.
On Monday November 13 at 4.45pm, two men carrying a shotgun and piece of wood entered the village store and post office at Bodham, near Holt, whilst another man stood outside, and threatened staff and smashed a security door to get money.
On Thursday November 16 at 4.45pm, two balaclava clad men with shotguns entered Northwold Post Office, near Brandon, and took a small amount of cash from the till.
Anyone with information about the robbery or the car theft from the Tesco store at Thetford, is asked to contact Det Con Pete Holloway at Norwich CID on 0845 456 4567 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.