Appeal for more teams to sign up for water festival in Downham Market
Organisers for the annual Downham Market Water Festival want more teams to sign up to help make this year's event the biggest ever.
So far, six teams have signed up to take part in the Dragon Boat racing competition, which will take place close to the Hythe Bridge on the Relief Channel on August 14.
The event, now in its fifth year, is organised by a committee of volunteers and was sponsored last year by Downham Market Town Council, West Norfolk council and the EDP.
Kerry Heffernan, the town council's events co-ordinator, said the maximum number of team slots available will be 28, which will be sold on a first-come-first-served basis.
Teams can be made up of between six and 15 paddlers and a drummer and team entry costs �150.
Each team has three races from which to record their two best times and the top eight teams with the quickest times then battle out over the 100-metre course for a place in the final.
Last year more than 3,000 people enjoyed the sunshine and stalls as 18 teams battled to rule the waves.
- 1 Prince Harry's ex marries north Norfolk hotelier
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 3 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 4 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 5 Villagers' anger after meadow is mowed causing 'destruction' of plants
- 6 'It's a nightmare' - Roadworks leave town 'gridlocked'
- 7 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 8 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 9 Tractor being used for A11 roadworks had faulty brakes
- 10 Norfolk glamping site with natural pool named among UK's best newcomers
Teams need to have signed up and paid the full amount before July 1 to secure their place. For more information call 01366 387770.