Appeal for memories as Dereham Neatherd High School marks its centenary
It is 100 years since the first students were enrolled at the old Dereham High School for Girls.
And as Neatherd High School - which it has become known as - celebrates the centenary, people are being asked to come forward with their memories and pictures of the school.
Dorothy Ella Allcock was the first name on the school roll on January 25, 1912 and the first headteacher was Alexandra Fisher, who earned the princely sum of �90 a year.
The school has expanded rapidly in pupil numbers and the size of the complex and literally thousands have been taught and worked there.
Neatherd's head of history Luke Mayhew is leading the project to celebrate the centenary and said there was a lot of excitement at looking back at the way the school and the town have changed.
'It is important that the school remembers how it has developed. We want to look at the whole community and really want people with memories to contact us.'
Pupils will be able to interview former pupils and staff about their memories and the school is also eager to get photos and also memorabilia, such as old uniforms.
- 1 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 2 Long stretch of A47 closed overnight due to crash
- 3 Norfolk pub gets booked up every Sunday for its roast dinner platters
- 4 18 sights you will remember from Norfolk in the 1980s
- 5 Villagers hope to take on land near their homes
- 6 New operators take over at council-owned leisure centre
- 7 Norwich venue offering Afternoon Cheese and it looks incredible
- 8 Renewed objections to demolition of pub empty for a decade
- 9 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 10 A47 reopens after serious crash
'We want our exhibition to be like a museum,' said Mr Mayhew, who said there would be an open day for people to have the chance to look round the school and there are also plans to bury a centenary time capsule.
*People can write to the school at Norwich Road, Dereham, NR20 3AX and via e-mail email@example.com.