Appeal for information about hoax call which led to major sea search near Cromer
- Credit: Archant
An appeal for information after a major sea search last week has been launched by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency following a hoax call.
Thousands of pounds was spent on the operation on February 11, which involved Cromer Lifeboat, an RAF helicopter from Wattisham Airfield, and Coastguard teams.
It followed a call from a man claiming to be on the boat Norfolk Girl, 13.5 miles off the coast of Cromer.
But after a boat called Norfolk Girl was found safely ashore in West Runton, officials believed the search to be the result of a hoax call.
The coastguard has the original recording, and wants to hear from anyone who has information that may help the investigation.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information should contact Humber Coastguard on 01263 672317
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 5 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 6 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea