Man claiming to be part of ‘coronavirus team’ stole food, attacked woman and damaged flat

Anthony McLeod, of Victoria Terrace, Lowestoft. PHOTO: Suffolk Police

Anthony McLeod, of Victoria Terrace, Lowestoft. PHOTO: Suffolk Police - Credit: Archant

A man who claimed to be part of a coronavirus team checking homes before carrying out a “mini-crime spree” has been jailed for more than three years.

Anthony McLeod, of Victoria Terrace, Lowestoft, targeted homes in Long Road, Lowestoft, before assaulting a woman and damaging her flat in Victoria Terrace.

The 44-year-old appeared at Ipswich Crown Court on Tuesday, May 5, where he was sentenced to 38 months imprisonment.

A spokesperson for Suffolk Police said: “The series of events began at around 11.30am on April 3, when a resident of a house in Long Road heard a loud noise downstairs and, when he went to investigate, discovered McLeod inside the conservatory banging hard against the locked integral door to the kitchen.

“McLeod was unsteady on his feet and appeared to be intoxicated.

You may also want to watch:

“When challenged about what he was doing, he said he was part of a coronavirus team making checks. The victim then told him to leave and ushered him out of the house before calling the police.”

Around five minutes later, McLeod was caught trying door handles of a car parked on a driveway, also in Long Road, before being disturbed by a resident.

Most Read

From there, McLeod moved to a third Long Road home, where he stole items from a garage, including two walkie talkies and a quantity of food and drink from inside a fridge and a freezer.

The 44-year-old pleaded guilty to two counts of burglary, assault causing actual bodily harm, two counts of criminal damage and one charge of vehicle interference.

The police spokesperson sadid: “The three other offences occurred between 2pm and 2.30pm at a flat in Victoria Terrace, where he punched and headbutted a woman who was known to him and caused damage to the door of the flat and also to a wall inside which he punched.

“Police were called, locating and arresting McLeod in a nearby street at 2.35pm.”

After inspecting the damage caused inside the flat, officers discovered a bag of food and drink items stolen from Long Road earlier in the day.

Detective Inspector Matt Adams, of East CID, said: “Anthony McLeod took himself on a mini-crime spree on the day in question, entering peoples’ homes and stealing their belongings, before becoming more violent by damaging property and, ultimately, assaulting someone.

“This type of behaviour is completely unacceptable and so I am pleased with the sentence he has been given, which should give him plenty of time to reflect on his actions in prison.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus