Anglian Magic Society opens doors to new members
- Credit: Archant
They can read minds, perform complex card tricks and make objects seemingly disappear in front of your eyes.
And now the Anglian Magic Society is hoping to share some of its secrets with other budding young magicians from across Norfolk.
The organisation will be hosting an open event next month near Norwich where people can learn about the tricks of the trade.
It is part of a drive to encourage more young people interested in magic and performing to get involved with the society.
Secretary Andy Allen said: 'We would encourage them to come along and we could give them advice, not just on the magic but how to present themselves and perform.
You may also want to watch:
'We feel the future of the club is to get new members involved. There are not many clubs for magicians in this year.'
The society meets once a month at the White Horse pub in Trowse, where members share ideas and discuss techniques.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 7 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 8 Petrol station queues causing rush-hour delays
- 9 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 10 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
Its 39 members includes illusionists, contortionists and stage performers.
Mr Allen, 54, from Thorpe St Andrew, has been with the society for the past three years with his son Jake.
He said anyone who attended the open day will be taught a card trick which they can perform at home.
Magician Dave Royal, 53, from Hellesdon, has been with the society since it was formed in 1989.
He said: 'Magic is either something you either do or you don't do, it's built in.
'When I was four of five I remember my nan asking me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
'And I said I don't want to be anything, I am a magician.'
The open event takes place at the White Horse pub from 7.30pm on July 19.
It is open to anyone over the age of 12.
For more information call Mr Allen on 01603 435537 or visit the Anglia Magic Society Facebook page.
Are you organising an open day for your club? Call Luke Powell on 01603 772684