Panto villain swaps magic carpet for race car
- Credit: Norwich Theatre Royal
A soap star whose villainous performance is delighting audiences at this year's Theatre Royal panto fulfilled a life-long dream by joining a Formula One legend at a world-renowned car factory.
Actor Rik Makarem, who played Nikhil Sharma in ITV's Emmerdale, is currently starring as baddie Abanazar in Norwich Theatre Royal's Aladdin.
But yesterday the former television star swapped the magic carpet for a Formula One engine during a special visit to the Lotus factory in Hethel.
The actor, who is a self-confessed 'Formula One nerd', met motoring hero and former Lotus driver Martin Donnelly.
Mr Donnelly gave the panto star a crash course in how to handle a car at 120mph and gave him a generous rating of 8.5 out of 10 for his driving skills.
You may also want to watch:
The actor said: 'I truly am obsessed with Formula One which is probably unhealthy. I won't go for a Sunday dinner with my family or friends if the Grand Prix is on and the Lotus name is so iconic.'
- 1 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser
- 2 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 3 Delay warnings ahead of abnormal load move
- 4 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 5 Prime minister promises "February sunset" for coronavirus tiers
- 6 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop
- 7 Norwich water supply hit for second day running
- 8 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 9 Drunk man arrested after driving into water-filled dike
- 10 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show