Panto villain swaps magic carpet for race car
- Credit: Norwich Theatre Royal
A soap star whose villainous performance is delighting audiences at this year's Theatre Royal panto fulfilled a life-long dream by joining a Formula One legend at a world-renowned car factory.
Actor Rik Makarem, who played Nikhil Sharma in ITV's Emmerdale, is currently starring as baddie Abanazar in Norwich Theatre Royal's Aladdin.
But yesterday the former television star swapped the magic carpet for a Formula One engine during a special visit to the Lotus factory in Hethel.
The actor, who is a self-confessed 'Formula One nerd', met motoring hero and former Lotus driver Martin Donnelly.
Mr Donnelly gave the panto star a crash course in how to handle a car at 120mph and gave him a generous rating of 8.5 out of 10 for his driving skills.
You may also want to watch:
The actor said: 'I truly am obsessed with Formula One which is probably unhealthy. I won't go for a Sunday dinner with my family or friends if the Grand Prix is on and the Lotus name is so iconic.'
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 7 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 8 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 9 Two Norfolk care homes among the best in region
- 10 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county