Aldi hopes to open a new store on Drayton Road, Norwich
- Credit: PA
A discount supermarket wants to open a store in north west Norwich.
Plans have been submitted to Norwich City Council for an Aldi on Drayton Road.
The application says the company wants to refurbish the existing Wickes shop, improve the car park and make better pedestrian access.
Currently on the site is Wickes and Topps Tiles, but it is not clear what would happen to those businesses if the plan gets the green light.
The application reads: 'Currently the Wickes and Topps Tiles units are occupied. It is intended to refurbish the whole building, to create a unit suited to Aldi's requirements.'
You may also want to watch:
The plan could include 158 parking bays, including eight disabled spaces and an area for 60 bikes to park.
People who live nearby have taken to social media site Street Life to discuss the plans. Many are concerned about the noise from delivery lorries while others have said they are worried about viability of small business in the area if the store goes ahead.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 4 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 7 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 8 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 9 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 10 Glamping site approval despite highway safety concerns
Aldi not respond to a request for a comment. Topps Tiles said they are awaiting the outcome of the application and it is business as usual.
Wickes did not wish to comment at this time.
If you want to make any comments on the application, visit www.planning.norwich.gov.uk, or email to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 23.
If you want to discuss the proposal, the officer dealing with the application is John Dougan, on 01603 212504.
• What do you think about the proposal? Email email@example.com