Airmen and seven F-15C Eagles from RAF Lakenheath deployed to Lithuania
- Credit: Archant
Airmen and jets from RAF Lakenheath have been deployed to Lithuania to help safeguard NATO member airspace.
Around 140 airmen and seven F-15C Eagles from the 48th Fighter Wing have left the Suffolk base for Siauliai Air Base to assume control of the NATO Baltic Air Policing (BAP) peacetime defence mission.
The US Air Force will officially assume command of the current BAP mission from the Polish military on Wednesday.
During the deployment the airmen will help strengthen the bond between Baltic allies through shared capabilities and coordinated efforts.
A spokesman for the base said: 'US participation in this mission underscores its unwavering pledge to NATO to ensure a safe and stable future for the Baltics while preserving the integrity of NATO's borders.'
You may also want to watch:
He added it showed US commitment to NATO allies.
The action comes at the request of Baltic allies.
- 1 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 2 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 3 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 4 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 5 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 6 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 7 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 8 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 9 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 10 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting