‘Respect the water’ - Fire officer warns against drinking on boats after man pulled from river
- Credit: Archant
A fire fighter has warned people against drinking on the water after a man falling into a Norfolk river sparked a 999 response which included the air ambulance and rescue boats.
Emergency services were called to the river near The Swan Inn on Lower Street, Horning, at around 10.20am on Saturday after a man tripped and fell off the back of a hire boat.
A party on a separate boat witnessed the fall and dialled 999.
Two boats from Carrow and Dereham and the Hemsby Lifeboat assisted the Wroxham fire crew in pulling the person from the water and an air ambulance and ground paramedics treated the man for a cut finger.
Stefan Rider, fire station manager, warned boaters to take care on the water.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "We understand people want to have a good time and have a drink but there is potential for accidents if you do so to excess because it's a dangerous environment.
"We would rather not have to attend incidents that could be avoided by people taking care. Respect the water and wear life jackets or flotation devices at all times when you're out there."
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 4 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 5 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 6 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 7 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 8 Air ambulance and coastguard attend incident on Sheringham beachfront
- 9 Brown Derbies and Bender sausages, when Wimpy ruled fast food
- 10 Woman who died in A47 collision named
Hemsby Lifeboat said a serious incident had been narrowly avoided.
It said: "The casualty was recovered to safety with a slight injury to his hand, although precautions were taken as there was a risk of secondary drowning. Luckily he had a flotation aid to assist him in keeping afloat."
Liam Bowles, who works at The Swan Inn, said the man wasn't a customer but that staff had watched the rescue mission unfold from the pub window.
He said: "It seemed like a panic over nothing. It was a group of young guys on the boat and the one that fell in was wet but was walking."