Ageing CCTV network faces switch-off
Town leaders in Dereham warned that the town must fight to stop its CCTV network being dismantled in a review of the ageing system.The town's cameras are nearly 11-years-old and Breckland Council is to carry out a survey of which cameras need updating and relocating.
Town leaders in Dereham warned that the town must fight to stop its CCTV network being dismantled in a review of the ageing system.
The town's cameras are nearly 11-years-old and Breckland Council is to carry out a survey of which cameras need updating and relocating.
But at a meeting of Dereham Town Council yesterday members said that old cameras could be removed and not replaced.
Councillor Robin Goreham said: "We do not want Breckland Council saying all our equipment is old and tired and deprive us of our CCTV provision.
"We should be saying to Breckland Council we want at least the level of coverage we have at the moment and do not want anything less than what we are getting.
"To say we are willing to part-fund the system in future years is better than saying to Breckland we have no money because it could lead to us not having CCTV coverage at all."
- 1 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 2 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 3 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 4 Part of A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 5 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 6 Heavy delays on major Norfolk road after crash
- 7 EXCLUSIVE: The faces behind City's prospective US investment
- 8 Scammers targeting Norfolk homes with fake parcel deliveries
- 9 Soldier from Norwich jailed over rape of girl
- 10 From pot washer to head chef: 17-year-old's remarkable rise to the top
The meeting heard there were calls for a camera at the top end of the High Street, outside Steptoes, outside the Memorial Hall and Dereham Recreation Ground.
It was felt the camera from outside the old Dereham Swimming Pool could be moved to a new location, once the new pool opens, and also that the camera would be moved from Cowper Road into the Cowper Road car park.