Aero modelling club members fear uncertain future after eviction from Roydon site
- Credit: Archant
Members of an aero modelling club fear their flying days could come to an end after they were told to leave the site they operated from.
The King's Lynn group has flown radio-controlled models from a 4½ acre field near Roydon Common for 30 years. The spot is part of 95 acres of land bought by the Norfolk Wildlife Trust (NWT) in 2011 – to add to their reserve at Roydon.
Now members say they face an uncertain future after the NWT told them they must vacate the site by April 2017.
Treasurer Bernard Hicks, 75, of West Winch, said: 'The problem we have is really it's taken us 30 years to get this pitch as it is now. We have now got to start all over again.
'If we don't get another site in the next three months then this club will finish next year.'
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the NWT said in order to achieve its 'wildlife conservation' and 'visitor access objectives', it would need to take back the area occupied by the club, which has around 50 members, for its own use.
The news was not welcomed by member Malcolm Green, 74, who moved from South Africa last year and chose to live near the flying field 'specifically for the club'.
- 1 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 2 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 3 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 5 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 6 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 7 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 8 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 9 Farmers hope to unlock 'huge potential' of cannabis crops
- 10 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
'I like it because it challenges me and without it I would vegetate. My physical and mental wellbeing is linked to this hobby,' he said.
Yesterday was the King's Lynn Aero Modelling Club's last annual 'invitation fly-in' at the Roydon field.
If you can help the club find another field contact them via their website at www.klamc.co.uk.
Have you got a story ? Email firstname.lastname@example.org