A47 ‘grid-locked’ following six vehicle crash
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
Traffic travelling through one of the region's busiest junctions was 'grid-locked' this morning, following a crash involving six vehicles - initially thought to be three.
At 7.50am, emergency services were called to the A47 close to the Postwick Hub after six vehicles were involved in a crash on the outside lane, heading west.
Police and paramedics attended the scene with a heavy tailback of traffic building up as a result.
A spokesman for Norfolk Constabulary said that traffic was "grid-locked around Postwick" as a result of the crash, which happened between the junction and where the A47 crosses the A146 at Trowse Newton, around 50m away from the Postwick Hub.
The crash involved a Vauxhall Astra, a silver Mercedes and a Peugeot, with recovery on the way for all three cars. It is not clear at this stage what the other three vehicles were.
You may also want to watch:
It is not clear at this stage whether any injuries were suffered as a result of the crash.
The incident also led to a number of bus services being diverted in a bit to avoid the congestion, with KonectBuses re-routing the 5, 5A. 5B, 5C and 500 services via Yarmouth Road.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 4 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 5 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 6 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 7 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 8 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR
As of 10.10am, all vehicles involved were recovered and traffic was returning to usual pace.
It was originally reported that three vehicles were involved in the incident, however, police have now confirmed that six vehicles were involved.
- keep up to date with all the latest travel news via our live traffic map.