A Level success means Dereham couple can stay together at university
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Results day brought joy and relief for high-school sweethearts Miriam Kirkham and Shaun Mendham, whose combined haul of two A* grades and five As was enough to ensure they could go to university together.
The couple, from Dereham Sixth Form College, were under more pressure than most to get the required grades to go to Birmingham university – if they failed, they could have ended up studying hundreds of miles apart.
Miriam, 18, from Richmond Close in Honingham, said: 'I am feeling ecstatic. It just allows us to move on to our future together rather than having to be separate. We know couples who have had to split up because they are six hours away from each other. We are going to be a five-minute walk.
'We have been together since high school. I wouldn't consider other universities because I want to stay with Shaun.
'If I had not got the grades, I would have taken a year out and worked hard and re-applied next year.'
You may also want to watch:
Miriam gained three A grades in English, chemistry and biology, while boyfriend Shaun achieved two A* grades in chemistry and maths, with As in physics and computing.
Shaun, 18, from Attlee Way in Dereham said: 'There was a tiny bit of worry, but there always is with results. I am very pleased with how high the grades are. I couldn't have asked for anything more from the school. I am really excited for the oncoming opportunity.'
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 5 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 6 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea