A bit egg-streme? Cadbury criticised as Easter is “airbrushed” from egg hunt title
Cadbury has caused controversy after making the decision to drop the word Easter from their National Trust egg hunts.
The chocolate giant has instead chosen to call the campaign, Cadbury's Great British Egg Hunt.
Theresa May has condemned the move as 'absolutely ridiculous'.
The Prime Minister said: 'I think the stance they have taken is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know what they are thinking about frankly.
'Easter's very important. It's important to me. It's a very important festival for the Christian faith for millions across the world. So I think what the National Trust is doing is frankly just ridiculous.'
You may also want to watch:
The Church of England has also criticised the decision, accusing the organisations of 'airbrushing faith'.
The National Trust said that suggestions it was downplaying the significance of Easter were 'nonsense' while Cadbury dismissed the claim as 'simply not true'.
Some 300 Easter egg hunts will take place at National Trust properties this April including at Norfolk's Blickling Estate and Oxburgh Hall.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 4 'Fighting every shift' - intensive care nurse's harrowing Covid video diary
- 5 Staff lose jobs at retailer Outfit with plans to close permanently
- 6 School shuts 20 minutes before opening time after staff Covid case
- 7 Boss locked out of own salon after Covid 'vigilantes' glue door shut
- 8 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
- 9 Military personnel deployed to help N&N cope with Covid pressures
- 10 Man ran onto train tracks to escape Covid police
Despite the criticism, The National Trust website does feature several references to Easter in regards to egg hunts, including a large headline which proclaims 'Enjoy Easter Fun at the National Trust'.
Cadbury's website also includes the word Easter in several places other than the event logo.
• Do you think Cadbury and the National Trust have egg on their face or is this all just a bit egg-streme? Let us know in the comments below.