8pm UPDATE: Controlled burn out at Broadland Ham factory in Norwich
A small number of appliances have been withdrawn from the site at Broadland Hams where a fire is still burning.
Around six appliances remain at the fire, which has ripped through the factory at Burnet Road, Sweetbriar Industrial Estate.
The fire is being left to burn in a controlled burn out as it is too dangerous to tackle from the inside.
Fire crews have made good progress and have contained the fire, ruling out the possibility of it spreading to neighbouring buildings.
Relief crews have been arranged and it is likely they will remain at the site into tomorrow.
As reported, thick black smoke was issuing from the factory when firefighters arrived at about 1.50pm. Staff had raised the alarm when they returned from lunch and smelled smoke.
The Porter family who have run the factory since it was built in 1986 confirmed that nothing was likely to be salvageable.
- 1 Murder inquiry as teenage woman dies after car crash in Norfolk village
- 2 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 3 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 4 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 5 Two recycling centres to be closed - and replaced with new £4m tips
- 6 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 7 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 8 Wrestler sheds five stone in one last bid to chase his American dream
- 9 Vicar’s astonishing outburst against the Bishop in town's long-running row
- 10 Customers travelling across Norfolk to try pub's 'afternoon sea'
Check the Evening News website later in the night for further updates.