A teenager took his own life months after finding out he was adopted and was born in Russia.

The body of former Norwich School student George Corson was found by his mother in the backgarden of the family home in Irstead.

An inquest into the 19-year-old's death heard that his parents Angelika and Chris Corson had adopted George - who was born in Moscow - at a young age.

George's GP, Dr James Fisher said in a statement that George, who was studying at the UEA, had had no previous mental health diagnoses, nor physical issues which could have led to his suicide.

Dr Fisher added that the recent discovery of his adoption may have caused a 'loosening of his identity' and speculated that as George had been told about his adoption around the time of the Russian Invasion of Ukraine, this may have furthered his deteriorating mental health.

He died on February 22, 2023, the first anniversary of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

In a statement, his mother said: "He has been my son since the age of 4."

Eastern Daily Press: George Corson at 12 years of age (middle-left) at the Norfolk Young Musician of the Year in 2016. Picture - NewsquestGeorge Corson at 12 years of age (middle-left) at the Norfolk Young Musician of the Year in 2016. Picture - Newsquest (Image: Newsquest Archives)Before his death, Mrs Corson said she tried to regularly engage with her son, but "he wouldn't open up to me about anything".

The day before he took his life, George told his mother: "I am always sad."

George said goodnight to his parents at around 10.30pm that night and George's father, Chris, told the hearing "nothing seemed out of the ordinary".

The following morning, Mrs Corson went to see her son upstairs but he was not there. After checking outside to see if George was vaping, Mrs Corson saw her son's body in the distance.

Mr Corson described his son as someone who helped out around the house, who was a good student, and who had visited Germany with his girlfriend months before his death.

Eastern Daily Press: George was a student of the University of East Anglia from 2021 until his death. Picture - NewsquestGeorge was a student of the University of East Anglia from 2021 until his death. Picture - Newsquest (Image: Newsquest)But later in 2022, Mr Corson said George still had two university assignments to hand in and that his son had struggled while on his biochemistry course at the UEA.

During his first year, George had lived on campus. But his mother said she grew concerned after George's mood had changed and he started to lose weight.

George had told her he never sat the exams and that he didn't like the people on the course.

At the inquest, it was revealed George had also repeatedly missed assessment deadlines and stopped attending classes.

Eastern Daily Press: Norfolk Coroner's Court. Picture - NewsquestNorfolk Coroner's Court. Picture - Newsquest (Image: Newsquest)In October 2022, George re-enrolled at the UEA but changed his course to business management and opted to live back at home with his parents.

While George was at home, the Corson family began discussing his future plans for his career and studies.

He suggested he wanted to start working but soon became frustrated after not hearing back from prospective employers. In December, George also passed his driving test first time.

His friendship group had shrunk since he left high school and his mother described how he began spending more time on his mobile phone, playing video games and watching TikTok videos.

Eastern Daily Press: George Corson at the age of 12. Picture - NewsquestGeorge Corson at the age of 12. Picture - Newsquest (Image: Newsquest)The night before George's death, he was in contact with his childhood friend, Vikash Kumar.

In a statement, Mr Kumar said the pair had known each other for 16 years but had grown closer in sixth form. And even though they went to different universities, they still kept in touch.

However, other than George telling Vikash that "he wasn't enjoying his class much", the pair rarely spoke about their mental health or their emotions.

Area coroner Yvonne Blake gave the medical cause of death as 'hanging by the neck' and recorded a conclusion on suicide.

In summary, Ms Blake described George as a "bright young man" who was "much loved".

She said George was told he had been adopted at a young age at a time of much anti-Russian sentiment stemming from the invasion in Ukraine.

If you need help and support, call NHS 111 and select option 2 or the Samaritans on 116 123. Both services are available 24 hours, 7 days a week. You can also download the Stay Alive app on Apple & Android.