A woman managed to call police as she was being strangled by her partner in bed, a court has heard.

The victim was being attacked by boyfriend Barry Leeder who had his hands around her neck when she raised the alarm.

Norwich Crown Court heard he assaulted her after finding her on her phone and demanding to know who she was messaging.

After she called police, Leeder, 43, initially said he wanted to kill himself before saying he was going to "stay and fight the police". When officers arrived, he kicked one of them.

Eastern Daily Press: Norwich Crown CourtNorwich Crown Court (Image: Newsquest)

Leeder, of Middleton Crescent, New Costessey, appeared in court for sentencing on Friday after admitting intentional strangulation, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, assaulting an emergency worker and possession of cannabis.

The hearing was told that the couple, who had been together since the end of 2022, went to a party in Earlham last May.

While there, Leeder grabbed his partner round the back of her neck and put her in a headlock.

An argument broke out after they returned to their home in Cringleford but they made up and slept together before having another row.

Danielle O'Donovan, prosecuting, said the victim went upstairs leaving Leeder "ranting downstairs".

He then went up and found her on the bed on her phone and attacked her, putting his hands around her neck for about 20 seconds.

Ian James, mitigating, said Leeder was a well-respected and hard-working individual who for his first 41 years had led a "laudable" existence.

But in 2022 Mr James said the picture changed with the "identifiable catalyst" his abuse of alcohol and to a lesser extent drugs.

He said the offences were "wholly out of character" and insisted Leeder was "genuinely sorry", 

Judge Anthony Bate said the relationship had "started so well" but fuelled by drink and drugs Leeder subjected the woman to domestic violence, including intentional strangulation.

Eastern Daily Press: Judge Anthony BateJudge Anthony Bate (Image: Newsquest)Leeder was given a 12 month prison sentence, suspended for 18 months and ordered to undertake an alcohol treatment requirement as well as up to 30 days Rehabilitation Activity Requirement (RAR).

He was also ordered to do 240 hours unpaid work.