A woman who was receiving treatment for breast cancer died after choking on her dinner, a court has heard. 

Bronwyn Tufts, 69, of Kestrel Close in Mulbarton, had started to eat her evening meal when she began to choke on a piece of meat.

Her husband, Paul Tufts, a retired plasterer, returned from the kitchen to check on her but found her in difficulty. 

He tried to get the food out of her mouth himself but was unable to, so called his next-door neighbour for help.

The neighbour, who was a midwife, began giving CPR to Mrs Tufts who had gone into cardiac arrest, while Mr Tufts rang 999. 

An ambulance arrived within 15 minutes and paramedics were able to resuscitate Mrs Tufts. 

She was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, where her family was informed she had suffered brain damage. 

She later died at the hospital on November 26. 

An inquest into her death was opened and concluded on December 5 at the Norfolk Coroner’s Court at County Hall in Norwich

Eastern Daily Press: Norfolk Coroner's Court at County Hall, NorwichNorfolk Coroner's Court at County Hall, Norwich (Image: Newsquest)

Area coroner Samantha Goward said: “There had been no other choking incidents in the past, but it was noted that Bronwyn did have a strong gag reflect throughout her life. 

“She previously said that on occasion brushing her teeth could set it off.” 

Evidence read out also confirmed that she had been receiving palliative chemotherapy for stage four metastatic breast cancer.

The medical cause of death was given as a hypoxic injury secondary to acute choking. 

Ms Goward recorded a conclusion of an accident. 

Bronwyn Eva Tufts, nee Hill, was born on March 23, 1954, in Mulbarton, near Norwich, and was a retired customer service advisor.

  • To pay tribute to a loved one, email norfolkobituaries@newsquest.co.uk  
  • To read all obituaries and tributes join the Facebook group Norfolk's Loved & Lost