The family of a Norfolk teenager who died after he was stabbed in a busy shopping area say "he shone as bright as any star" and they will never be the same without him.

Raymond James Quigley, 18, from Wymondham, was attacked in Westgate Street in Ipswich on Tuesday, January 17.

Emergency services, including an air ambulance, were called to the area, but Mr Quigley, who was known by his middle name James, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Eastern Daily Press: Westgate Street in Ipswich, where James Quigley was fatally stabbedWestgate Street in Ipswich, where James Quigley was fatally stabbed (Image: Google)

Mr Quigley's sister Kathleen, 32, has set up a Gofundme page to raise money for his funeral.

"He died on the scene in Ipswich," she said. "This has left pain in everyone's hearts and traumatised many, especially my mother, brother, his dad, myself his nephew and nieces.

"Our family will never be the same without him. He shone as bright as any star."

The Gofundme page set up for donations towards Mr Quigley's funeral costs has so far raised £750 towards its £2,500 target.

Ryan Hamilton, who donated £400, posted: "I love you bro, words can’t explain how I feel about all this... Just know I got all your family."

Sheila Fennessy added: "RIEP James, I remember you as a little boy and this is just heartbreaking. Gone to soon."

Liam Soanes posted: "I’m so sorry for your loss, rest in paradise James."

The busy town centre street where Mr Quigley was stabbed, near Marks & Spencer and Debenhams, was sealed off as armed police officers and a helicopter from the National Police Air Service hunted for his attackers.

A post mortem examination carried out by a Home Office pathologist later revealed that he had suffered four stab wounds to his torso.

Alfie Hammett, 18, of Larkhill Rise, Rushmere St Andrew, and a 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, have been charged with Mr Quigley's murder and possessing a knife in a public place.

They appeared at Suffolk Magistrates' Court on Tuesday and were remanded in custody to appear at Ipswich Crown Court on Wednesday.