A 56-year-old man 'who lived a life that didn't exist' stabbed his partner to death before setting himself on fire, a inquest heard.

Firefighters were called to reports of a blaze in a room on the first floor of a house on Admiralty Road, Great Yarmouth, on Sunday, October 5.

They discovered the body of Mybe Jallow in his bedroom and a petrol can and lighter nearby.

The body of Mariama Njie-Jallow, 37, was found in the lounge on the ground floor.

A post mortem examination revealed that Mrs Njie-Jallow - who was an immigration officer in Gambia and is believed to have moved to the UK with Mr Jallow in 2003 - had 'several stab wounds to her head, face and neck' and died from blood loss due to a stab wound on the neck.

There was also 'evidence of defence injuries to her upper limbs'.

Mr Jallow's post mortem examination showed the cause of his death to be 'inhalation of fire fumes'.

A toxicology report showed 116mg of alcohol per 100ml of his blood. The legal limit to drive a car is 80.

The couple's relationship was described by Mrs Njie-Jallow's sister as 'unhappy' in a statement read at the inquest.

In a statement from the couple's doctor it was revealed they had been trying for children but Mrs Njie-Jallow, who worked in a launderette, had suffered several miscarriages.

Det Chief Insp Andy Guy, from the Joint Norfolk and Suffolk major investigation team, said the couple were in debt and said Mr Jallow, who was a security guard, told family he was a 'lawyer, had won the lottery and lived a life that didn't exist'.

He was seen on CCTV buying petrol and vodka from a service station on the day of their deaths.

Norwich coroner Jacqueline Lake said it was clear the couple did not have a 'particularly happy marriage'.

She added: 'I am satisfied there was intent by Mr Jallow to kill his wife or cause her serious harm and I am satisfied he intended to die with his actions.'

The coroner recorded a verdict of suicide for Mr Jallow and recorded Mrs Njie-Jallow as unlawfully killed by Mr Jallow.