A mother suffering post-traumatic stress disorder and recurrent depression had been asking for electroconvulsive therapy in the days before her death, an inquest has heard.

Eastern Daily Press: Carrow House.Picture: ANTONY KELLYCarrow House.Picture: ANTONY KELLY (Image: Archant Norfolk 2016)

The second day of the inquest into the death of 36-year-old Katherine Rought-Rought heard from charge nurses from the Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment team at Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation trust (NSFT).

The team had discharged her from their care just hours before she died, on June 1 2016.

They told Norfolk Coroner's Court there was nothing about her demeanour that indicated she might be about to harm herself, but admitted she was a significant risk of self harm.

Charge nurse Linzi Geens visited her home at North Park Avenue in Norwich on May 30 and said Mrs Rought-Rought reported her mood was low.

'She expressed her feelings clearly during the visit,' she said. 'She did not present significantly different to when I had seen her in the past.

'The ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) made a huge difference to her and I think that is what she was held onto.

'There was nothing that indicated an immediate risk of something occurring.'

The following day on May 31, charge nurse Elizabeth Cork visited Mrs Rought-Rought.

'She denied any recent acts of deliberate self harm,' the told the court. 'When we offer someone home treatment initially it is for three days and then we review it.

'As regards suicides she said she wished doctors could administer lethal injections to those who want them. She was telling me her sleep had improved because of the medication. There was no indication either hospital admission or the Mental Health Act were necessary.'

Dr James Miller had been responsible for administering ECT for Mrs Rought-Rought at the Julian Hospital in Norwich.

In a statement he said: 'Her case is one of an enduring risk of suicide attempts, often impulsive, punctuated by efforts of self harm.

'It is my opinion ECT was beneficial and without its utility she might have deteriorated in a more abrupt fashion.'

Mrs Rought-Rought's parents previously told the inquest they believe their daughter should have been sectioned. Community mental health nurse Peggy Lovell, Mrs Rought-Rought's care co-ordinator, added she did not want to be under the care of the crisis team and progress on ECT 'gave her hope'.

The inquest continues.