New festival to be showcased in Lowestoft
- Credit: Archant
A new collaborative festival will allow young people to experience a vibrant mix of dance, theatre and poetry performances when it arrives at the Marina Theatre in Lowestoft.
Once Upon a Festival returns this June in venues and schools across East Anglia – featuring some of the best children's performance companies from across the UK.
Led by Theatre Royal Bury St Edmunds, the festival has five other partner venues; Marina Theatre, Lowestoft, Meet Up in Thetford, Southwold Arts Centre, Marketplace CPP – Chatteris In Myth & Memory and The Garage, Norwich.
A number of schools across Waveney will also be involved in the festival, which begins at the Marina Theatre on June 14/15 with Judith Kerr's classic book The Tiger Who Came to Tea.
Pied Piper Theatre Company visit Southwold Arts Centre on June 16 with The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch, the show is packed with live music and audience participation.
You may also want to watch:
On Father's Day, Sunday, June 18 you can also watch the National Theatre Live's screening of their children's show Peter Pan at the Marina Theatre.
Week two opens with Suffolk based Theatre Company Wonderful Beast performing their latest show Orla's Moon at Southwold Arts Centre.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 3 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 4 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 5 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 6 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 7 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 10 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
Lyngo Theatre will be at the Marina Theatre with There and Back Again; The Odyssey a classic tale full of giants, myths and legends on June 21 at 1.30pm and also 4.30pm.
This year's Festival is sponsored by Taylor Wimpey and has been supported with funding from Bury St Edmunds Town Council, Lowestoft Rising and Arts Council England.
Will Isgrove, Head of young people and outreach at the Marina Theatre, said: 'We are really excited to be partnering with the Theatre Royal Bury St Edmunds to deliver 'Once Upon a Festival'.
'It is a great opportunity for local schools to come and be a part of some high quality theatre and engage with storytelling and performance.'
For more information about the performances at the Marina Theatre in Lowestoft call the box office on 01502 533200 or visit www.marinatheatre.co.uk
Have you got a Lowestoft entertainments story? Email email@example.com or alternatively you can call 01502 525820.