Motoring heritage drive to help Great Yarmouth charity’s £5m appeal
- Credit: Archant
Classic cars are adding extra drive to a £5m charity appeal at Great Yarmouth.
Centre 81 recently launched a vision to rebuild its Tar Works Road complex to provide modern facilities including a community café – and a public appeal to help raise funds for the project.
The charity's annual classic car run and show next month will also help towards the target.
And Centre 81 is inviting owners of classic vehicles to join the event, now in its fifth year.
Over the past two years the event has raised more than £7,000.
You may also want to watch:
The event is on Sunday, July 10 and attracts around 50 cars. It sets off from the Fritton Arms pub between 9am to 10am and drives 60 miles through the countryside to Great Yarmouth seafront, arriving from noon - with a bacon butties stop at Claxton and Carlton St Peter village hall from 10am.
The cars will be on show near the Sea Life Centre and be judged for a range of awards. They are: best in show, oldies but goodies (pre 1959),swinging sixties 1960-69), future classics (1970 onwards), drippiest award (vehicle leaking the most oil), and I'm Exhausted award (vehicle travelling furthest to get to the start).
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 3 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 4 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 7 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 8 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 9 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 10 PM warns there will be no 'open sesame' lockdown exit
Entries are open at £15 per vehicle including route book, rally plate and discount vouchers valid for the day.
Centre 81 is also seeking extra volunteers to help on the day with stewarding, setting up, manning stalls and collecting donations. It would also welcome any donations of items to auction at the event.
To offer help contact Jackie James at Centre 81 on 01493 852573, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.centre81.co.uk to download an entry form for the car run.