The early bird gets the worm... and the theme park ride
- Credit: Getty Images
There's a lot to be said for getting up early - especially on a bank holiday, says Sharon Griffiths.
Too late… too late…
If you're going out for the day you should probably left already. Unless you really like queues, of course.
When so many people want to do the same things in the same place at the same time – especially on a bank holiday – then how much nicer to make the effort to beat them to it.
Oh, there's nothing like that smug feeling of having your pick of car park spaces.
My father used to pack us into the Hillman Minx at the crack of dawn, before the streets were aired, so we'd set up base camp at the seaside/country show/fair long before the hordes arrived. We'd have the place to ourselves for a while and the bonus was we'd be ready to leave early and beat the long queue home too. Double smug.
It's a family failing. Even when my sons were teenagers welded to their beds until noon, they would rouse themselves early for a theme park. No messing. First through the gates and straight to the far reaches where the major roller coasters were. That way they could have three rides straight off before the queues built up and another few while half the world was still queuing to get in.
- 1 Screams of daughter run over by her dad heard by murder jury
- 2 Person injured and road blocked after north Norfolk crash
- 3 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 4 Murder jury hears how 'angry' father ran over teenage daughter
- 5 New sites for gypsies and travellers proposed in Norwich area
- 6 Revealed: The most isolated neighbourhoods in Norfolk
- 7 Couple who transformed old mill into unique new home put it up for sale
- 8 Most desirable places to live in Norfolk according to estate agents
- 9 Festival-goers 'in the dark' over refunds following cancellation
- 10 New headteacher appointed at village high school
Supermarkets, swimming pools, stately homes, blockbuster exhibitions and even the station car park, are all easier early. Definitely worth the unnatural start.
The early bird catches the worm and the parking space. What are you waiting for?
Enjoy your day – before everyone else gets there too.