Tory MP: Lib Dem Lords reform obsession is “bizarre”
After writing the piece in today's paper, it seems probable that Tory MPs will let Lords reform pass next week. As Richard Bacon MP puts it; the proposals are something they are just going to have to swallow.
But it also seems pretty clear that Conservatives are going to make sure the leadership knows just how much they hate the reforms. This was what Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman, the government's life sciences advisor, told me...
'At a time when the Eurozone is in meltdown, threatening our economic recovery from the worst banking crisis in our history, the Liberal Democrats' obsession with reforming the House of Lords will strike people as bizarre.
'There are some sensible reforms we could make to improve the Lords' role as a revising second chamber, but Nick Clegg's blueprint has massive constitutional implications which need extensive scrutiny, which risks tying Parliament in knots.
'Voters weren't interested in the AV reforms to the voting system and I don't believe they'll see this as a priority either.'
You may also want to watch:
I think the PM may have to do a lot more in coming weeks to massage those Tory sensibilities.
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 3 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 4 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 6 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
- 7 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 8 Historic railway platform building could be demolished in station revamp
- 9 Air ambulance called to person's aid in Dereham
- 10 Revealed: Norfolk's hotspots for Japanese Knotweed in 2021