Reader letter: Land cost stops cheap housing
- Credit: Archant
So yet another politician has an idea for solving the shortage of affordability of new houses for the young buyers of today (Sajid Javid, Community Secretary). This problem goes back at least 50 or 60 years ago.
When new building was allowed to start again after material and labour was needed to repair and rebuild war-damaged properties in the early to mid-1950s there was plenty of building land available and building workers wanting jobs.
At the time land represented about 10pc of the overall cost of new properties plus there were many new council houses being built for people to rent if they didn't want to buy.
During this period from the mid-50s to the mid-80s I built many properties mostly for young first time buyers, some who I am pleased to say still live in them.
By the late 80s land was getting scarce and expensive. A lot of tradesmen had left the building industry and very few young people were coming into the trade. On top of that higher specifications and expectations where being demanded as well as higher land prices which has brought on the situation as it is today.
You may also want to watch:
I wish I could be as positive about the future as I am knowledgeable about the past, but I am sorry to say I just cannot see any new scheme working that would make the situation today match that of the past.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 5 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 6 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea