Walcott residents left without power after harvester cuts through power line
- Credit: MAURICE GRAY
Seventy-six homes in and around Walcott were left without electricity after an agricultural vehicle ploughed into an overhead power cable.
The sugar beet harvester was working on the field between Ostend Road and Coastline Village when disaster struck today (Friday) around 8.30am.
The driver of the vehicle was left shaken after the cable was severed but escaped unhurt.
Thomas Love, who owns the farm, said he had been 'very lucky'.
Engineers from UK Power Network were quickly on the scene and restored power to some properties within 90 minutes, with all homes expected to be reconnected by 3pm.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Love said: 'We have to look after these overhead cable and maintain the 30ft pole surroundings and the engineers have said they will heighten the cables but the ideal answer would be to put them underground.'
- 1 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 2 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 3 Man put hidden camera in bedroom to spy on wife
- 4 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 5 Driver taken to hospital after four-car crash on key road into Norwich
- 6 Man in critical condition after being stabbed in Thetford
- 7 Robbers knock out boy, 14, and steal trainers from his feet
- 8 Unlikely new use for city's Samson and Hercules building
- 9 Woman taken to hospital following crash on A146
- 10 Appeal for rescuers to come forward following Sea Palling incident