Plans lodged for new retirement homes in North Walsham
- Credit: McCarthy & Stone
A new retirement home development in North Walsham could support local businesses by creating additional spend of more than half a million pounds a year, according to the applicants.
Following a pre-application consultation with neighbouring residents and local councillors, developers McCarthy and Stone have submitted plans to North Norfolk District Council to build 45 one and two bedroomed apartments on land off New Road.
The site currently houses the Cando Auto Centre and a residential property.
Mark Wright, Regional Managing Director at McCarthy and Stone, said: 'We are pleased to have now submitted our planning application for North Walsham, following productive dialogue with North Norfolk District Council, North Walsham Town Council, local elected representatives and neighbouring residents.
'The submitted plans include high-quality designs for the apartment building, which would improve this brownfield site and provide an attractive new frontage to New Road. We look forward to working towards a positive decision on the application in the coming months.'
The applicants claim research has shown that almost 80% of McCarthy and Stone
homeowners shop locally at least once a week and the company estimates this would translate into £670,000 of spending in the town's economy annually, if the plans are approved.
- 1 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 2 'Significant construction' on A47 to begin in 2023
- 3 Parked cars prevent buses from serving north Norfolk village
- 4 First-time publicans transform their local and are already winning awards
- 5 Buses damaged in city centre collision
- 6 All of the Norfolk streets that won the Postcode Lottery in June
- 7 John Bailey: Lord Botham, our cricketing angler/conservationist
- 8 New pub landlord welcomes back families and introduces street food menu
- 9 West Norfolk beach named the best in the east
- 10 Host a roast dinner with unlimited Yorkshire puds at newly-refurbished pub