See inside a south Norfolk farmhouse for sale for £725,000
- Credit: Pic: Brown & Co.
If you dream of owning a gorgeous farmhouse with country views, it's not always easy as many such properties stay in the same family for generations. But High Elm House, Pye Lane, Deopham, may be just what you are looking for. Property editor Caroline Culot went to visit this property for sale with Brown & Co.
High Elm House is indeed a country idyll; dating to 1819 and so pretty from the front with a Victorian wrought iron verandah adding to its unusual elegance for a farmhouse.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Man in 20s drowned in Bawsey Country Park lake
- 2 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 3 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 4 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 5 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 6 See inside the 'tiny mobile homes' built from scratch for £95,000
- 7 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 8 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 9 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 10 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
Interestingly, the owner told me it isn't original to the house but that her grandfather bought it and added it on! Having met the owner, who has lived in the house for 30 years, what really struck me is how the house has formed part of a long running farming family with it handed down, as many farmhouses are. With the owner's son moving into a self build, the time has come to relinquish what has been the backbone of one family making a living from agriculture in south Norfolk.
Such is the character of the house, which offers a paddock and some fantastic unconverted barns, if you buy the property as a whole, you can really imagine the running of the farm and life in the house, As I say, it is very elegant for a farmhouse, with high ceilings and formal front gardens which you can gaze at from sitting under the verandah. The owner said that some updating is required and a new owner will definitely be able to do this. Being not listed, it may be also possible to alter the layout and the barn lends itself to conversion into a home office or even holiday accommodation, all subject to planning.
Inside you have a big hall, off which is a modern kitchen, two large receptions as well as a snug at the rear going into a rear utility, office/fourth bedroom. Upstairs are three good sized bedrooms looking over the front garden and an enormous family bathroom.
It's all there are 2.5 glorious acres including a paddock so would suit anyone wanting a large country house to raise a family in or to have a pony and dogs.
High Elm House is for sale for a guide price of £725,000 as a whole or for £575,000 for the house and garden or £150,000 for the barn, with Brown & Co on 01603 629871. Further land may be available by separate negotiation. www.brown-co.com