A Victorian piano used in town’s silent cinema donated to museum
- Credit: WHM
A historic piano used in a Norfolk town's earliest cinema has been donated to a heritage museum.
David Townsend's grandfather William Spalding bought The Picture Theatre in Wymondham in 1931, one year before silent cinema was replaced by talking films.
The Picture Theatre occupied the premises of the former Public Hall on Town Green from 1917-41 and had an accompanist called Winne who played the 1870s piano.
When the cinema closed the piano was handed down through the family.
Mr Townsend, of Norwich, said: 'It had a curtain round it so you couldn't see it, that would have taken away from the film. Boys used to throw bits of paper over the top!
'There was a social side to the cinema. People didn't have much money and they used to let them in free to warm up.'
Mr Townsend donated the piano with some stained glass to Wymondham Heritage Museum where it will be tuned and restored.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 3 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 4 Man who died in Old Buckenham crash named
- 5 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 6 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 7 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 8 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 9 'Fantastic' barn conversion with golf simulator and games room is for sale
- 10 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash