‘Volunteering can hold a community together’ – Queen’s recognition for Colton woman
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Marion Morse's passion for improving the lives of others has been recognised in the New Year Honours list.
The Colton grandmother of six was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) for her services to the Norwich community after 40 years of volunteering.
Since 1974, Mrs Morse has worked tirelessly to promote self-reliance, personal development and learning of disadvantaged people across Norwich.
She has worked with the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) since the late 1970s, training volunteers as well as setting up the first outreach pilot to help people close to home. As well as the CAB, Mrs Morse has taught in Norwich prison, served on school governing bodies and been a strong believer in giving people skills and confidence.
At Lakenham Primary School, Mrs Morse was part of a team which oversaw a new building and at the Hewett School in Norwich she set up a project called Base to help give young people reassurance to reach their goals.
Mrs Morse said she was 'amazed' to be made an MBE. 'Volunteering can hold a community together,' she said.
'And by volunteering, you can change your own life by learning a lot about yourself.'
- 1 ‘Porn addict’ Norfolk doctor who secretly filmed women struck off
- 2 Rare insect spotted in Norfolk for first time in nearly 100 years
- 3 5 famous faces who were born in King's Lynn
- 4 Norwich street named one of the most beautiful in the world
- 5 Mystery of container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast solved
- 6 Norfolk fish and chip shop named one of the 10 best in the UK
- 7 Woman’s death prompts ‘significant dangers’ warning over A11 cycle races
- 8 Seven people arrested after 50 vehicles stopped by police at Thickthorn
- 9 Norfolk start-up taking on retail giant Amazon
- 10 Vandals smash charity dinosaur trail T.rex and leave kebab in its mouth
Mrs Morse is still a trustee at Base, is part of the Diss and Thetford CAB and is a parish councillor in the village of Colton.