Don’t panic! Revisiting days when Dad’s Army was filmed in Norfolk
- Credit: Archant Library
Any Dad’s Army fan knows the show is set in the fictional town of Walmington-on-Sea on the south coast of England.
But you’d be as hapless as Private Pike if you tried to locate scenes from the cult comedy classic in that particular corner of Britain.
In fact, much of the beloved BBC 1 sitcom, written by David Croft and Jimmy Perry, was filmed in Norfolk.
The programme was based on the Local Defence Volunteers - later the Home Guard - in the Second World War and many of the episodes feature recognisable county locations.
These include Thetford, Diss, Winterton and Sheringham.
Members of the cast and crew often stayed in The Bell or Anchor hotels in Thetford.
You may also want to watch:
And their number was boosted by an army of extras from the town and surrounding areas, particularly members of the Thetford Music and Drama Society or the Thetford Senior Citizens’ Club.
Dad’s Army ran for nine series with 80 episodes between 1968 and 1977.
- 1 Police fine 39 second-homers and day-trippers in resort crackdown
- 2 Family of missing man informed after body found near lake
- 3 Drama as police plane circles villages for missing person
- 4 Rogue trader jailed after taking thousands of pounds from customers
- 5 More than 40pc of people in Norfolk have now had their first Covid jab
- 6 A 42-bedroom hotel with ballroom and set in three acres for sale
- 7 Builder wants zero affordable homes in development – after promising 13
- 8 Seafront Bath House homes for sale again after price drop
- 9 'Unsatisfactory and dangerous situation' - Man frustrated by unlit roadwork
- 10 Seafront beach chalets demolished as part of major £1.6m scheme
The sitcom later spawned a stage show, film and radio series before a revival for the silver screen in 2016.
What are your memories of Dad’s Army being filmed in Norfolk? Did you meet the cast or maybe even feature in an episode?
Contact email@example.com if you have a connection to the series and would like to share it.