From seaside rock to pick 'n' mix: Remembering old sweet shops in Norfolk
- Credit: Archant Library
Certain tastes and smells have a way of transporting us back in time.
The chocolatey aroma wafting from the Caley's factory in Norwich. Sugary seaside rock from Docwra's on trips to Great Yarmouth beach. The dazzling array of colours in the Woolworths confectionery section before going to the cinema.
For those of us with a sweet tooth growing up in Norfolk, we will remember trips to our nearest local sweet shops with great fondness.
Some may have closed and certain sweets might no longer be on the shelves.
But it is hard not to feel a twinge of nostalgia for the happy memories wrapped up in these places.
Please enjoy these old photos of sweet shops in Norfolk from our archives.
Where did you buy sweets in Norfolk and what did you choose? Let us know in the comments below.
- 1 Police fine 39 second-homers and day-trippers in resort crackdown
- 2 Drama as police plane circles villages for missing person
- 3 Builder wants zero affordable homes in development – after promising 13
- 4 Rogue trader jailed after taking thousands of pounds from customers
- 5 A 42-bedroom hotel with ballroom and set in three acres for sale
- 6 Seafront Bath House homes for sale again after price drop
- 7 More than 40pc of people in Norfolk have now had their first Covid jab
- 8 A11 closure as lorries with huge loads get stuck at roadworks
- 9 Family of missing man informed after body found near lake
- 10 Seafront beach chalets demolished as part of major £1.6m scheme