‘Never Boring’ antique dealer’s collection to go on sale in Norfolk
- Credit: TW Gaze
The exotic and diverse collection of one of the country's most renowned antique dealers is to go under the hammer at a sale in Norfolk.
Robert Barley, whose business cards always sported the words 'Never Boring', began trading at an Aladdin's cave-like shop on London's Fulham High Street and later from a stall at Portobello Road Market.
A familiar face at antiques fairs for decades, his unique multi-cultural mix of objects always drew attention and he became well known in the antiques world.
Having died earlier this year, more than 500 items from his personal and stock collections, including pictures, sculpture, furniture, textiles, architectural features and artefacts spanning 2,000 years, are set to be sold at TW Gaze auction rooms in Diss on September 21.
Self-taught about antique artefacts, objects d'art and collectables, he had a diverse and eclectic interest in objects from across the globe.
You may also want to watch:
Auction room manager Matthew Brand said: 'Mr Barley has been a client of ours for several years and we were delighted to receive instruction to market many of the items remaining in his estate. It is bound to be an exciting event, full of colour and surprises; very much like the man himself, so hopefully a fitting tribute.'
• More about the sale at twgaze.co.uk
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault