Great chance to catch up with ‘Sir’ and old classmates after all these years
- Credit: Archant
A former teacher who described his pupils as the 'best behaved in the whole of Norwich' is looking forward to meeting them at a reunion later this month.
The 'sir' in question is Peter Ward, now aged 90, (seated in our main picture) who will be the guest of honour at the gathering for those who attended Willow Lane, Heigham House and Sir Thomas More RC schools over the years.
The last reunion, organised by four former students you may remember as Janet McCabe, Pat Mallett, Sheila Chittock and Jillian Pelham, was about five years ago so the girls are hoping for a big turn out to meet old friends and Mr Ward.
The three Roman Catholic schools were linked over the years, providing education for thousands of children in and around the city.
Heigham House operated from the West Pottergate home of the first Lord Mayor of Norwich, Ernest Blyth, where it opened in 1939, and it developed into a secondary modern school for boys and girls.
You may also want to watch:
It later became known as Sir Thomas More and a new school opened.
'We had about 200 pupils and I believed they were the best behaved children in the whole of Norwich. They always respected other people,' said Peter Ward.
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 3 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 4 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 5 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 6 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 7 City recruitment chief linked with Boro exit
- 8 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 9 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 10 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
'We hope to see as many of the former pupils as possible,' said Janet Metcalf (McCabe). 'Especially as Mr Ward is coming along for the reunion and hopes to meet up with his students and find out what they have been doing.'
The reunion for former pupils at Willow Lane(the former primary school), Heigham House and St Thomas More RC schools will be taking place at the Canary Social Club, at the corner of Rosebery Road and Thorpe Road from 7pm on Wednesday April 24. More details from Janet Metcalfe (McCabe) on Norwich (01603) 437249, Jill Stolworthy (Pelham) on Norwich 742763, Pat Crisp (Mallet) on Norwich 465691 or Sheila Goodwin (Chittock) on Norwich 744632.