From our Archives: Curtain up on yesteryear and life on the stage
We're fortunate to have a number of excellent, long-established theatres and repertory companies active throughout our region. Today's archive feature sneaks the odd preview here and there to explore what takes place before the curtain goes up.
1 Our first call is at the celebrated Maddermarket Theatre in Norwich. In 1951 it was celebrating its 30th season and our photographer took this picture of the Wardrobe Department preparing the costumes for Richard Brinsley Sheridan's 1799 play The Critic.
2 Cast members line up for a photo call to mark the Great Yarmouth Amateur Operatic and Dramatic Society's production of Oklahoma in 1955.
3 Actors at the Little Theatre, Yarmouth were snapped during a read-through of their latest production in 1964.
- 1 Café serving produce fresh from its farm opens in north Norfolk
- 2 Norfolk fish and chip shop named one of the 10 best in the UK
- 3 Vandals smash charity dinosaur trail T.rex and leave kebab in its mouth
- 4 Banksy mural created to spark debate after town's artwork was sold
- 5 Woman accused of exposing herself to boy outside Lowestoft park
- 6 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in crash with 4x4 outside village pub
- 7 Some firefighters using foodbanks amid £18m payroll system 'farce'
- 8 Flames grip barn in north Norfolk
- 9 Council refusing special school place for disabled girl
- 10 Teenager died after choking on own vomit
4 The young actors of the Henderson Youth Centre are being made up in this shot from 1965 for their production of Night Must Fall by Emlyn Williams.
5 In 1967 Yarmouth Operatic and Dramatic Society staged The King And I. Here we have an ensemble shot from the production.
6 Painting the scenery for a large-scale production fully occupies these three chaps – the date is the 60s, the location is Yarmouth and the production is probably a pantomime. Do readers have any further information?
7 Calamity Jane the musical came to Hopton in 1967. The cast in full costume lines up for a photo shoot at the bar.
8 Rehearsals are underway in 1969 for a Little Theatre Yarmouth production of The Grass is Greener, a 1956 comedy.
9 Wymondham College held a Summer School in drama in 1973. Their production was Pilgrim, a musical play based on the story of the Pilgrim Fathers. In our picture wardrobe mistress Mrs Vera Mackie helps Mrs Alison Atkins with her costume.
10 Sir Lancelot (Brian Goodfellow) and Guinevere (Ilene Hadden) rehearse the Yarmouth Operatic and Dramatic Society's production of Camelot which was presented at the ABC Theatre in April 1970.