Latitude 2016: ‘All hail to the ale’ as Al Murray offers his humorous take on current affairs
- Credit: James Bass
'I am here as an inspirational speaker, at a time when as a nation we need to pull together' announced everybody's favourite landlord, Al Murray, as he took to the stage.
Addressing the issues of Brexit and the nuances of home nation relations through his tongue-in-cheek pub landlord persona aching with 'Britishness' and satire which entertained and enthralled an audience of all ages.
From the four different types of Scottish men, the Geordie whale song to how the Liverpudlian accent served as the downfall for German radio communication in the second World War- few topics remained untouched by Murrary's razor sharp wit.
Filled with audience participation, interaction and repartee, laughs echoed round Latitude's Comedy Arena as the 'Guv'nor' gave his patriotic, sometimes misinformed, views on topical issues.
Murray's performance culminated with a sing-a-long rendition of the 'beautiful ancient song of our forefathers'- Itsy Bitsy Spider as a mass of audience limbs participated in the song's accompanying hand actions described by the landlord as 'the ancient ceremonial Haka we forgot'.
You may also want to watch:
Pouring a pint and raising it to the crowd, Murray said 'It has been quite beautiful drinking with you thank you,' a sentiment greeted by applause from his patrons who clearly agreed.
- 1 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 2 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 3 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 4 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 7 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 8 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
- 9 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 10 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat