Disruption due as work begins to move Norwich city centre traffic island following blunder
- Credit: Archant
Drivers, cyclists and pedestrians will face further city-centre disruption from today – because an 'oversight' means a traffic island needs to be moved eight metres down the hill.
A £3m project has seen work done in the Rouen Road, Cattle Market Street and Golden Ball Street area of the city centre, with cycle lanes put in, road priorities changed and reduced speed limits.
But a mistake in the siting of a traffic island in Cattle Market Street means the diggers will have to return – because it has repeatedly been clipped by vehicles turning into the street from Rouen Road.
Work to move the traffic island ' expected to last 26 days – will begin today.
The southbound cycle lane on Cattle Market Street/Golden Ball Street will be closed for the duration of the work, southbound cyclists will need to either use the general traffic lane or dismount.
The crossing island on Cattle Market Street, next to the Rouen Road junction, will be closed during the work, with pedestrians being directed to the controlled crossing further down Cattle Market Street by the Castle Mall entrance.
And, from Wednesday, October 19, the northbound lane of Cattle Market Street will be closed between Rouen Road and Market Avenue.
- 1 Distraught Norwich City fan 'lost £98k in football betting site collapse’
- 2 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 3 A coach 'filled with people' and a van crash on the NDR
- 4 Sale of council farm as part of 4,000 homes plan sparks controversy
- 5 Roadworks planned in Norfolk for this week
- 6 Flood alert on the Broads due to high water levels
- 7 Lorry crashes into ditch in village near Norwich
- 8 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
- 9 Heavy winds set to hit Norfolk as yellow weather warning issued
- 10 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
There will be temporary traffic lights in place at the junction of King Street with Carrow Road to control the additional traffic from King Street during the temporary closure of Cattle Market Street northbound lane.
During the closure, the alternative route will be via Rouen Road, King Street, Carrow Road, Koblenz Avenue, Riverside, Prince of Wales Road and Rose Lane.
A spokesperson for Transport for Norwich said the work was needed because of an 'oversight' in design and apologised for the disruption.