Did you ‘Walk With Walnut’? Hundreds join whippet Walnut and owner on Cornwall beach for his last walk and even more go on a ‘virtual’ walk
- Credit: Kathryn Cross
It is a story that has brought dog lovers across the world together in a universal show of support.
This morning Mark Woods took his beloved whippet Walnut for his last walk on his favourite beach in Cornwall before the frail 18-year-old pet is put to sleep.
After inviting dog walkers to join them through social media, Walnut's story has been shared across the globe so while this morning hundreds of dogs and owners joined Mr Woods and Walnut on Porth Beach in Newquay, even more were taking a 'virtual' walk with their pets in their own home towns.
Mr Woods said he bought Walnut as a puppy and the dog 'has been my strength for many years', so wanted to give him a last day to remember.
And he certainly achieved it, with dozens giving the pet a final stroke as Mr Woods carried him on the beach. Walnut even managed a last paddle in the sea for as long as his weakening legs allowed.
You may also want to watch:
'He has had an incredible life and having reached the grand age of 18 is ready for his final sleep,' said a tearful Mr Woods.
'It was such a simple thing and something I did spur of the moment but it really has struck a chord with people.'
- 1 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 2 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 3 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 4 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 7 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 8 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
- 9 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
- 10 Air ambulance attends crash on the A11
This morning the Walking With Walnut Facebook page has been inundated with pictures of people walking their dogs and sending messages of love and support.
* Did you do a virtual walk with Walnut? Send in your pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org.