Dereham Town are well beaten at Histon in Isthmian League North
- Credit: Archant
Dereham Town crashed to a 4-1 defeat at Histon in Division One North of the Isthmian League on Tuesday night after turning in a below par performance.
After a scrappy opening Rhys Logan threaded a perfectly weighted pass through to Toby Hilliard who shot wide.
Histon had a chance in the 12th minute when keeper Elliot Pride saved Danny Gould's low drive and Buster Harradine fired the rebound off target. However the Stutes went in front from their next attack when Gould's centre from the right was turned in from close range by Ed Rolph.
Things went from bad to worse for the Magpies in the 23rd minute when a low cross came over towards Gould who was blocked by Matt Castellan as he looked to net from point blank range. A penalty was awarded, the Dereham defender was harshly dismissed and Max York confidently drilled home from the spot.
The visitors were finding it hard to keep possession but created a good chance in the 39th minute with Adam Hipperson finding Eoin McQuaid whose 20 yard drive was deflected for a corner.
You may also want to watch:
The Magpies' plight got worse in the 55th minute when Dan Brown netted from inside the box after a cross from the right had fallen into his path.
Dereham reduced the deficit in the 62nd minute as Hilliard headed home Rhys Logan's cross and the visitors immediately won a penalty after Sam Roach fouled Hilliard. However the keeper redeemed himself by saving Hipperson's well struck kick.
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 3 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 4 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 5 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 6 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 7 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 10 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
Dereham continued to press but Histon increased their lead in the 69th minute when Brown lobbed keeper Pride.
A good turn and centre by Ryan Crisp nearly let in Hilliard but Dereham could not add to their tally.
Dereham: E Pride, T Matthews (D Frary 60) O Murphy, D Hinton, S Wones, R Logan, E McQuaid (R Crisp 60), T Hilliard, R Hawkins, A Hipperson (J Imrie 75). Subs not used: R Linford, A Smith. Att: 134.
In the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division second placed Norwich United dropped points for only the third time this season when they held to a 1-1 draw by visitors Kirkley and Pakefield.
The Planters took the lead early in the second half only to be pegged back by a 75th minute own goal.