Cooper’s double sets up an impressive win for Magpies
Dereham Town maintained their excellent start to 2018 by recording a comfortable victory over visitors Tilbury on Saturday.
The Magpies made it back-to-back wins following their emphatic 4-1 success at Soham on New Year’s Day to move up to third in the Bostik League North table.
They got off to a good start on Saturday, taking the lead after just nine minutes with a well taken individual goal.
After picking up the ball in the centre of the park, James Cooper advanced before cracking home a powerful 25-yard drive.
Tilbury came close to equalising minutes later when Tobias Aromolaran’s header struck the underside of keeper Elliot Pride’s bar. Play remained open and visiting keeper Clarke Bogard made a good save from Rhys Logan’s low drive.
You may also want to watch:
After a spell of Tilbury pressure, home skipper David Hinton found Logan with a long ball to the right. The tricky wide man cut inside and hit a fierce left-footer that rose over keeper Bogard’s bar.
Tilbury forced Pride into a vital save as he acrobatically tipped Aromolaran’s skilful overhead kick over the top.
- 1 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 2 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 3 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 4 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 5 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 6 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 7 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 8 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 9 Norfolk scams: Rogue gardeners and fake energy salespeople
- 10 Aldi to open 100 new stores with eyes on towns in Norfolk
The Magpies increased their lead in the 37th minute. Hinton found Ashley Jarvis who released Cooper and the young striker progressed before slotting home his second. Only a fine close-range save by Bogard from Jarvis prevented Dereham extending their advantage.
In the 65th minute Jamie Forshaw fired over from 20 yards whilst off balance, but Dereham wrapped it up with 15 minutes remaining with another superb effort.
The outstanding Logan turned his man inside out on the right before passing inside to Forshaw and the prolific number 10 hammered the ball into the roof of the net.
The Dockers had a chance to get back in the game in the 81st minute after Kristopher Newby was upended in the area, but Vyse could only clip the top of the bar.
Dereham: Pride, Murphy (Anema 65), Taylor, Linford, Howell (Ebbage 83), Castellan, Logan, Hinton, Jarvis, Forshaw, Cooper (Mason 55). Subs not used: Beaumont, Crisp. Att: 133.
Dereham travel to mid-table Hertford Town on Saturday.