Ukip candidate in Great Yarmouth shows audience a photo of her Jamaican husband in bid to dispense perceptions of racism in her party
- Credit: Archant
Speaking at a hustings event at East Coast College in Great Yarmouth, Catherine Blaiklock showed the audience a framed photograph of herself with her husband.
In her introductory remarks, she told the youngsters she had a Jamaican husband and added that her first husband was from Nepal and her two children were half-Nepalese.
MORE: College students quiz election candidatesMrs Blaiklock said she wanted to dispel a negative image of her party.
As an organisation, Ukip has been dogged by scandals involving racism.
All the way back in 2006, the then Conservative leader of the opposition David Cameron infamously called Ukip a party of 'fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists.'
You may also want to watch:
He drew criticism from the then Ukip leader, Nigel Farage, who demanded an apology, which he never received.
- 1 Driver dies in crash on A47
- 2 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 3 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 4 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 5 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 6 End of an era as hardware store closes after 60 years
- 7 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 8 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 9 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 10 Inside the police operation that has led to 3000 arrests in Norfolk