Ukip candidate in Great Yarmouth shows audience a photo of her Jamaican husband in bid to dispense perceptions of racism in her party
- Credit: Archant
Speaking at a hustings event at East Coast College in Great Yarmouth, Catherine Blaiklock showed the audience a framed photograph of herself with her husband.
In her introductory remarks, she told the youngsters she had a Jamaican husband and added that her first husband was from Nepal and her two children were half-Nepalese.
MORE: College students quiz election candidatesMrs Blaiklock said she wanted to dispel a negative image of her party.
As an organisation, Ukip has been dogged by scandals involving racism.
All the way back in 2006, the then Conservative leader of the opposition David Cameron infamously called Ukip a party of 'fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists.'
You may also want to watch:
He drew criticism from the then Ukip leader, Nigel Farage, who demanded an apology, which he never received.
- 1 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 2 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 3 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 4 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 5 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 6 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 7 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 8 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 9 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars