Yarmouth to host special sea concerts
Stephen Pullinger A series of top orchestral concerts has been announced for Yarmouth's Hippodrome Circus in what is being described as a “major coup for the town”.The three Symphonies by the Sea will begin on Wednesday, November 19, with a visit by the Munich KlangVerwaltung Orchestra presenting a programme of Wagner, Mozart and Beethoven.
A series of top orchestral concerts has been announced for Yarmouth's Hippodrome Circus in what is being described as a "major coup for the town".
The three Symphonies by the Sea will begin on Wednesday, November 19, with a visit by the Munich Klang-Verwaltung Orchestra presenting a programme of Wagner, Mozart and Beethoven. The concert will feature international pianist John Lill.
The series will continue on February 4 next year with a concert by the Russian State Philharmonic Orchestra and world-famous British cellist Julian Lloyd-Webber.
The final concert will take place on March 15 and will feature the Berlin Symphony Orchestra with violinist Ernst Kovacic.
Yarmouth's SeaChange arts group director Joe Mackintosh described the securing of the series as a "major coup for the town" and said it stemmed from the success of last year's visit by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
- 1 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 2 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 3 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 4 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 5 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
- 6 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 7 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
He said: "The Hippodrome is an amazing orchestral venue. The acoustic is superb and the tiered circular layout gives the whole audience a great view and a uniquely intimate relationship with the orchestra.
"During the 1960s and 1970s there were frequent concerts by world-class orchestras at the Hippodrome from the London Philharmonic Orchestra to the Brno Philharmonic Orchestra from Czechoslovakia. We are absolutely thrilled to have put the Hippodrome back at the forefront of regional orchestral venues."
He said they wanted as wide a range of people to come to the concerts as possible. Ticket pricing was highly competitive for concerts of such calibre - including a limited number of first-come-first-served tickets at only £10.
Hippodrome owner Peter Jay said: "This is going to bring a whole different genre of people to Yarmouth and will be fantastic. The Hippodrome is like a mini Albert Hall and is a perfect venue."
To book tickets, phone the Hippodrome box office on 01493 844172 or book online at www.hippodromecircus.co.uk.